Which Document Should Be handy
Long distance moving from Los Angeles to New York requires a lot of planning. As soon as you begin preparations for your move, it’s a good idea to start a filing system. Many components need to come together, and a large amount of this information will come on paper, either electronically, or as a hard copy. Staying organized and keeping track of all the paperwork can be achieved by having both a digital and physical filing system in place, especially for a long distance move.
What documents are needed for a long distance move from Los Angeles to New York?
Arranging to have your belongings transported from Los Angeles to New York will require important documentation for each stage of the moving process. Below is a list of common documents you will receive, from beginning to the completion of your move
1. Estimates – Receiving estimates from different moving companies might be one of the first preparations you take towards the move to New York. Typically, they will be sent to you digitally through email.
2. Rights and responsibilities – Moving companies must provide their clients with a copy of the booklet, Your Rights and Responsibilities.
3. Bill of lading – If professional movers from Los Angeles to New York will be handling your relocation, the bill of lading will be your most important piece of documentation. The bill of lading is the contract between you and the moving company.
4. Order of service – This document is usually attached to the bill of lading and contains information relating to the estimate, details of pick up in Los Angeles and delivery in New York, and if any special services are needed, it will be outlined on the order of service. Both parties sign it, you the customer and the moving company.
5. Inventory sheet – You will be given an inventory sheet once the movers have loaded all your items onto the moving truck. It is advised to check this list before the truck leaves your home in Los Angeles. Once your items arrive at your new home in New York, the same inventory sheet will be used to track your shipment while they’re being unloaded from the moving truck.
6. Liability options – It is a requirement by Federal Law that the moving company provides you liability options.
7. Statement of service – Once delivery in New York is complete, your moving company will give you the final statement of service.
While organizing the logistics of the move, also begin to gather all of your other important documents. Make sure to get them before leaving Los Angeles, as you might need many of these documents immediately upon arrival in New York. If you have filed a change of address with the USPS, keep your electronic copy.
1. Bank statements
2. Credit card statements
4. Tax documents
5. Any other financial documents
3. School records
4. Any other personal documents
Property Related Paperwork
1. Mortgage documents
2. Lease agreements
3. Insurance polices – e.g. home and vehicle
4. Vehicle registration
All of these important documents should be filed in a safe place, either electronically or in a physical binder and should remain with you at all times during the moving process.
Whichever way you’ll be travelling to New York, whether driving across the country and staying in hotels, or flying, make sure to have all your travel documents in a safe place.
How should you keep your documents safe during the moving process?
During moving preparations, keep all your important documents in one place, especially if you’re in the process of sorting through them. Sheets of paper can often get misplaced. It’s advised that your important documents are kept away from the chaos of moving. Consider using a small safe or a lockbox, that only you and your family have access too. Making copies of important documents and having a digital back up is advised. Remember, your important documents should not go on the moving truck with your other belongings, they are to remain with you at all times during your move from Los Angeles to New York.