Need To Protect Your Empty Home After Moving?

Need To Protect Your Empty Home After Moving?

Safety Tips for Upcoming Move

cross country movers

Safety Tips for Upcoming Move

Sometimes, a long distance move needs to take place prior to your home being rented or sold. If this is the case, it’s a good idea to know how to protect your vacant home.

What is the difference between vacant and unoccupied?

An unoccupied home means there are no occupants residing in the property, but there is furniture and or furnishings. A vacant property has no occupants or contents.

How do you secure an unoccupied house?

With your property being left empty, having a security system is a wise decision. If you already have a security system set up, continue until the house has been sold, or has occupants. You might even consider additional services with the security system company to provide the option of monitoring the property from your new location, which can be done through a computer or a phone. It’s also a good idea to keep some of your utility services going, such as electricity, to give light and a feeling of home. Turning lights on and off can be done with a timer, remotely. Heating can prevent damages from occurring during colder months, and if there’s a garden that requires regular maintenance, consider keeping the water on. If you have a trusted friend or agent, recruit them to regularly check on your vacant property and collect mail. You’ll also want to understand insurance on your vacant property.

Storage Locations

Los Angeles
5698 Bandini Blvd B.
Bell, CA 90201
P: 888.860.7200 Ext. 102
San Francisco
2000 McKinnon Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94124
P: 888.860.7200 Ext. 135
New York
200 Murray Hill Pkwy,
East Rutherford, NJ 07073
P: 888.860.7200 Ext. 131

Business Hours(PST)

Monday: 8am - 4pm
Tuesday: 8am - 4pm
Wednesday: 8am - 4pm
Thursday: 8am - 4pm
Friday: 8am - 4pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Back to top